The Telnyx network offers unparalleled security, reliability and call quality. That’s because we’re a true carrier, and unlike many CPaaS providers, we don’t rely on middlemen to provide core communications functionality and routing.
We built our SIP services so that you can easily integrate Telnyx with any platform to get your business communications set up quickly. Whether you’re looking to integrate with hardware or cloud-based solutions we want to empower you to make and receive calls globally with the network built for reliable, enterprise-grade voice services.
This guide shows you how to connect your Telnyx numbers to Zoiper 5. Zoiper is a softphone client that can be downloaded and installed on mobile devices or computers. Zoiper 5 works with various operating systems including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Configure this softphone for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next-generation carrier like Telnyx!
- 1A Telnyx account - Sign up here with your email address, or register with your Google, Facebook or GitHub account - it only takes a few seconds.
- 2A download of Zoiper 5.
How it works
A Telnyx Elastic SIP Trunk is used to connect your IP-based communications infrastructure to the PSTN, so you can make and receive calls globally with our private IP network. We handle all the complexity in routing calls and delivering crystal clear conversations. To connect your Telnyx numbers to your Zoiper 5 platform we need to establish a SIP interface which is completed in these steps:
- 1Set up your Telnyx SIP Trunk Connection.
- 2Authenticate your SIP Trunk with Zoiper 5.
- 3Configure your Zoiper 5 profile for Inbound and Outbound calling.
Getting Started with Your Telnyx Mission Control Portal
There are four steps needed to set up your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account so that it’s ready to be configured to your PBX phone system, softphone client or softswitch of your choice.
Level 1 Verification:
To complete the below steps, you'll need to be Level 1 verified. Most users will already be Level 1 verified following email confirmation on signup. To check, visit the ‘My Account’ section of your portal account, and navigate to ‘Verifications’. More information on account verification can be found here.
SIP Connection Setup
Next, you need to set up a sip connection to authenticate your client (Zoiper 5) with our sip proxy (sip.telnyx.com).
These steps will walk through the setup of a credentials based connection.
- 1Go to "SIP Connections" from the side navigation.
- 2Click the "+ Add SIP Connection" button near the top right corner of the page.
- 3Enter the name you wish to have for your connection.
- 4Select "Credentials" as the "SIP Connection Type".
- 5A username and password will automatically be generated but you change the credentials by clicking the "edit" button to the left. Please make sure you use strong credentials.
- 6Click "Save All Changes".
Note: Once your Credential connection is created, you can display the username and password by clicking the eye icon under the "Auth Detail" column.
A DID is required in order to receive inbound calls to your client. After you purchase a DID on your account, you'll have to assign the connection you wish to receive inbound calls to. Information on assigning DIDs to a connection and DID features can be found here. More details on our number search feature can be found here.
Outbound Voice Profile
An outbound voice profile is required in order to make outbound voice calls. More information on creating an outbound voice profile and its features are explained here.
Need additional support to get started?
Setting up SIP Trunk configurations on the Zoiper 5 platform is pretty simple. To connect a SIP Trunk, we need to specify inbound and outbound signaling for Telnyx, set up authentication, add our numbers and set up some headers.
To get started, you can download Zoiper 5 here.
Follow the setup guide for the platform where you are installing Zoiper 5.
Setup Your Zoiper 5 VoIP Account
Once Zoiper 5 is installed and downloaded, you need to create your VoIP account. You can activate a pro license or continue as a free during the initial configuration. We’re using a free user account for this guide.
- 1Click “Create Account” in the login screen.
- 2Select United States from the dropdown menu. It’s located at the bottom of the list.
- 3Enter “Telnyx” in the “Provider” box. Once you’ve entered Telnyx in the box, you can select Telnyx as your provider.
- 4Enter the username and password you create when you setup your credentials based connection in the Telnyx Mission Control Portal.
- 5Click “Login”. If the username and password are correct, your Zoiper 5 account will be created. You'll be prompted to select your sound, microphone, and video settings. You may skip this step and come back to it later.
If the setup process is successful, you'll see a green check mark next to the account that indicates the registration was successful.
Click the account to go to the account settings. If you have multiple credential based connections in your Telnyx Mission Control Portal, you can click the “Add” button to configure more connections.
That's it! Your Zoiper 5 softphone is setup to make and receive calls with Telnyx as the SIP provider.
A little disclaimer: This guide has been developed by our product team to help you get started on the Telnyx platform. It isn’t necessarily supported or verified by the other platform and may vary based on platform version but we are confident in its accuracy.