The Telnyx network offers unparalleled security, reliability and call quality. That’s because we’re a true carrier, and unlike many CPaaS providers, we don’t rely on middlemen to provide core communications functionality and routing.
We built our SIP services so that you can easily integrate Telnyx with any platform to get your business communications set up quickly. Whether you’re looking to integrate with hardware or cloud-based solutions we want to empower you to make and receive calls globally with the network built for reliable, enterprise-grade voice services.
This guide shows you how to connect your Telnyx numbers to Vodia PBX. Vodia PBX is designed for flexibility and convenience. It offers both CPE and hosted deployments. This IP-PBX can run on any major platform—Windows, Linux or MAC OS. Vodia supports all SIP phones with automatic provisioning for mainstream phones like Polycom, Snom, Cisco, Grandstream, Yealink and others.
Configure this PBX for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next-generation carrier like Telnyx!
- 1A Telnyx account - Sign up here with your email address, or register with your Google, Facebook or GitHub account - it only takes a few seconds.
- 2A download of Vodia PBX.
How it works
A Telnyx Elastic SIP Trunk is used to connect your IP-based communications infrastructure to the PSTN, so you can make and receive calls globally with our private IP network. We handle all the complexity in routing calls and delivering crystal clear conversations. To connect your Telnyx numbers to your Vodia PBX platform we need to establish a SIP interface which is completed in these steps:
- 1Set up your Telnyx SIP Trunk.
- 2Authenticate your SIP Trunk with Vodia PBX.
- 3Configure your Vodia PBX profile for Inbound and Outbound calling.
Getting Started with Your Telnyx Mission Control Portal
There are four steps needed to set up your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account so that it’s ready to be configured to your PBX phone system, softphone client or softswitch of your choice.
Level 1 Verification:
To complete the below steps, you'll need to be Level 1 verified. Most users will already be Level 1 verified following email confirmation on signup. To check, visit the ‘My Account’ section of your portal account, and navigate to ‘Verifications’. More information on account verification can be found here.
Next, you need to set up a connection to authenticate your client (Vodia PBX) with our sip proxy (sip.telnyx.com).
These steps will walk through the setup of a credentials based connection.
- 1Go to ‘Connections’ from the side navigation.
- 2Click the "+ Add Connection" button near the top right corner of the page.
- 3Enter the name you wish to have for your connection.
- 4Select "Credentials" as the "Connection Type".
- 5A username and password will automatically be generated but you change the credentials by clicking the "edit" button to the left. Please make sure you use strong credentials.
- 6Click "Set Credentials".
- 7Click "Done".
Note: Once your credential-based Connection is created, you can display the username and password by clicking the eye icon under the "Auth Detail" column.
A DID is required in order to receive inbound calls to your client. After you purchase a DID on your account, you'll have to assign the connection you wish to receive inbound calls to. Information on assigning DIDs to a connection and DID features can be found here. More details on our number search feature can be found here.
An outbound profile is required in order to make outbound calls. More information on creating an outbound profile and its features are explained here.
Need additional support to get started?
Setting up SIP Trunk configurations on the Vodia PBX platform is pretty simple. To connect a SIP Trunk, we need to specify inbound and outbound signaling for Telnyx, set up authentication, add our numbers and set up some headers.
You must install and configure Vodia PBX before you can configure your Telnyx SIP trunk.
You can download Vodia PBX here.
Read this installation guide for more information about installing Vodia PBX.
Setup Vodia PBX
Once your Vodia PBX installation is complete, login to Vodia PBX. This is where you’ll connect your PBX to Telnyx and configure the connection.
Create Your SIP Trunk
- 1Navigate to your domain. Select “Trunks” from the menu on the left.
- 2Click “VoIP Providers”.
- 3Click “Add”.
- 4Select “Telnyx” from the “Provider” dropdown menu.
- 5Enter the username and password you created in the Telnyx Mission Control Portal.
- 6Click “Create”.
Vodia PBX has a built-in Telnyx template. There's no need to enter the SIP outbound proxy and trunk headers configuration. The dialplan for the domain is also automatically created. However, you may edit the dialplan if you wish.
Configure Incoming Call Routing
- 1Navigate to your registered Telynx trunk. Scroll down to set the incoming call under "Routing/Redirection". Vodia supports the following inbound methods:
- Send all to the destination request URL
- Send all calls to a specific account
- Send to a 10 Digit DID
- Match extension after a prefix
- Use a list of expressions
- 2For this setup, we are going to select "Send all calls to a specific account". All calls to the PBX system will go to the specified extension.
You’ll also need to select the account associated with the extension.
Follow the steps in the next section if you have multiple Telnyx phone numbers to route into Vodia PBX.
Setup DID Management
- 1Log in as an administrator.
- 2Navigate to “DID management” under the “Domains” header.
- 3Click “Add DID”.
- 4Follow the prompts in the DID management interface to assign multiple DID’s to specific extensions.
- 5Navigate to your Telnyx trunk in your Vodia PBX system. Scroll down to "Routing/Redirection". Select "Send all to the destination request URL".
That's it! Vodia PBX is ready to make and receive calls can now make and receive calls with Telnyx as your SIP provider.
A little disclaimer: This guide has been developed by our product team to help you get started on the Telnyx platform. It isn’t necessarily supported or verified by the other platform and may vary based on platform version but we are confident in its accuracy.