Telnyx has been tested and certified by 3CX as a Worldwide SIP Trunk Provider. With no manual configuration required you can just plug and play your PBX with a Telnyx SIP Trunk.
The Telnyx network offers unparalleled security, reliability and call quality. That’s because we’re a true carrier, and unlike many CPaaS providers, we don’t rely on middlemen to provide core communications functionality and routing.
We built our SIP services so that you can easily integrate Telnyx with any platform to get your business communications set up quickly. Whether you’re looking to integrate with hardware or cloud-based solutions we want to empower you to make and receive calls globally with the network built for reliable, enterprise-grade voice services.
This guide shows you how to connect your Telnyx numbers to 3CX. 3CX is an open standard IP PBX that offers complete Unified Communications, out of the box. Suitable for any business size or industry 3CX can accommodate your communication needs. Configure this PBX for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next-generation carrier like Telnyx!
- 1A Telnyx account - Sign up here with your email address, or register with your Google, Facebook or GitHub account - it only takes a few seconds.
- 2A download of 3CX Version 16.
How it works
A Telnyx Elastic SIP Trunk is used to connect your IP-based communications infrastructure to the PSTN, so you can make and receive calls globally with our private IP network. We handle all the complexity in routing calls and delivering crystal clear conversations. To connect your Telnyx numbers to your 3CX platform we need to establish a SIP interface which is completed in these steps:
- 1Set up your Telnyx SIP Trunk Connection.
- 2Authenticate your SIP Trunk with 3CX.
- 3Configure your 3CX profile for Inbound and Outbound calling.
Getting Started with Your Telnyx Mission Control Portal
There are four steps needed to set up your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account so that it’s ready to be configured to your PBX phone system, softphone client or softswitch of your choice.
Level 1 Verification:
To complete the below steps, you'll need to be Level 1 verified. Most users will already be Level 1 verified following email confirmation on signup. To check, visit the ‘My Account’ section of your portal account, and navigate to ‘Verifications’. More information on account verification can be found here.
Next, you need to set up a connection to authenticate your client (3CX) with our (sip.telnyx.com). We have three authentication types on the portal: Credentials, IP Address and FQDN.
These steps will walk through the setup of a credentials based connection. For information on IP and FQDN, check out the instructions here.
- 1Go to ‘Connections’ from the side navigation
- 2Click the "+ Add Connection" button near the top right corner of the page.
- 3Enter the name you wish to have for your connection.
- 4Select "Credentials" as the "Connection Type". Click here for IP or FQDN setup.
- 5A username and password will automatically be generated but you change the credentials by clicking the "edit" button to the left. Please make sure you use strong credentials.
- 6Click "Set Credentials".
- 7Click "Done"
Note: Once your credential-based Connection is created, you can display the username and password by clicking the eye icon under the "Auth Detail" column.
A DID is required in order to receive inbound calls to your client. After you purchase a DID on your account, you'll have to assign the connection you wish to receive inbound calls to. Information on assigning DIDs to a connection and DID features can be found here. More details on our number search feature can be found here.
An outbound profile is required in order to make outbound calls. More information on creating an outbound profile and its features are explained here.
Need additional support to get started?
Setting up SIP Trunk configurations on the 3CX platform is pretty simple. To connect a SIP Trunk, we need to specify inbound and outbound signaling for Telnyx, set up authentication, add our numbers and set up some headers.
3CX Profile Setup
To set up your 3CX profile you need to enter some personal information to configure the 3CX PBX for correct operation. We will highlight some of the important steps you need to look out for here:
- 1Extension Length: Select how many digits your extension should have.
- 2Admin Email: Specify an admin email and configure your mail server configuration by specifying a mail provider.
- 3Timezone: Set the time for the location where the system will be operating.
- 4Operation: Set up default destination for inbound calls. Default extension number is ‘000’.
- 5Allowed Countries: Specify to which countries calls can be made.
- 6Registration: Fill out your personal details here.
Confirm Network Setting
- 1Go to "Settings" -> "Network".
- 2"Ports" Tab: make sure your "SIP Port" is set to 5060.
- 3"Public IP" Tab: double-check your Public IP is correct and that you have selected the proper Network card Interface.
- 4Settings --> Click on "Network Settings" --> Public IP tab --> Section : "External IP Configuration".
Note: Please make sure that connection IP on the portal and Static Public IP is same.
Create New SIP Trunk
- 1Click on "SIP Trunks" from the navigation menu on the left.
- 2Click “Add SIP Trunk" near the top of the screen.
- 3A new pop up will be opened. You need to enter/select all the required details :
- Select Country: Worldwide
- Select Provider in your Country: Telnyx LLC
- Main Trunk No: (Enter the number which you have purchased on your Telnyx Mission Control Portal)
- 4After entering the details, click on OK.
- 5This will open the trunk configuration window. Here we will configure for inbound and outbound SIP traffic between our 3CX instance and Telnyx.
- 6In the General tab, there are 3 sections to be explained in the following sections:
- Trunk Details
- Route calls to
Configure Trunk Details
- Enter name of Trunk: Telnyx LLC
- Registrar/Server/Gateway Hostname or IP: sip-anycast1.telnyx.com:5060 or sip.telnyx.com:5060
- Outbound Proxy: sip.telnyx.com
- Number of SIM Calls: (set your preferred amount of simultaneous call)
Configure Authentication for Outbound Calling
Here we support two ways of authentication for outbound calling:
- 1Register/Account based: When your connection is authenticated via credentials.
- Type of Authentication: Register/Account based
- Authentication ID (aka SIP user ID): (You need to use the username from the connection which you have created in the Telnyx portal)
- Authentication Password: (You need to use password from the connection which you have created in the Telnyx portal)
- 2IP-based: When your connection is authenticated with IP-based or FQDN.
- Type of Authentication: Do not require - IP Based
- Authentication ID (aka SIP user ID): (enter the number which you have purchased on the Telnyx Mission Control Portal)
- Authentication Password: (Leave Blank)
Configuring call routing
- Main Trunk number: By default number will be shown. You need cross verify with the number which you have purchased on telnyx portal.
- Destination for calls during the office hours: (Based on your requirement)
- Destination for calls outside the office hours: (Based on your requirement)
Setup Calling Options:
Under the options tab you can enable or disable calling through the trunk. Additionally, you can edit the list of codecs supported and their preference/priority.
- 1Select the "Options" tab
- 2For "Require registration for:" select "Do not require".
- 3Remove the "GSM-FR" from Assigned Codecs
- 4Click "Apply"
Setup Outbound Parameters:
- 1For "Contact : User Part" in the SIP Field column Select "Custom Field".
- 2To allow private calling - "From: Display Name" and "From : User Part", select "Custom Field" but leave the Custom values blank.
- 3Click "Apply".
- 4After entering all the details please click on “OK” which is on the top.
- 5If all the fields are entered correctly the IP trunk will now be live. We can now proceed to our inbound and outbound rules.
Setup Inbound SIP Rules
- 1Click on "Inbound Rules" from the navigation menu on the left.
- 2Click on "+Add DID Rule" near the top of the screen.
- 3There are 2 sections in this: General & Route Calls too
- Route Calls to:
Setup Outbound SIP Rules
- 1Click on "Outbound Rules" from the navigation menu on the left.
- 2Click on "+Add" near the top of the screen.
- 3There are 3 sections in this :
- Apply this rule to these calls
- Make outbound calls on
- For ‘Rule Name’, you can enter any preferred name.
- 5Apply this rule to these calls:
- Calls to numbers starting with prefix : (leave empty)
- Calls from extension(s) : (You need to give the extension numbers)
- Note: ‘000’ is the extension used as an example.
- Calls to Numbers with a length of : (leave empty)
- 6Make outbound calls on:
- We need to configure routes in this section. Configure up to 3 routes for calls. The second and third route will be used as backup. For each route, digits can be stripped or added. Strip Digits 0 on Route 1 and Strip Digits 1 digit for remaining 2 routes.
- 7After completing the configuration, click "OK".
That's it, you've now completed the configuration of 3CX V16 IP-PBX Trunk and can now make and receive calls by using Telnyx as your SIP provider!
A little disclaimer: This guide has been developed by our product team to help you get started on the Telnyx platform. It isn’t necessarily supported or verified by the other platform and may vary based on platform version but we are confident in its accuracy.
Support and Additional Resources:
- Review our getting started guide to make sure your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account is set up correctly!
- Check out 3CX's help section for extra support!
- Looking for additional help? Click the Live Chat icon at your lower right-hand corner and start a chat.