This feature allows a user to select if an eligible number will be routed to an end user as Application-to-Person (A2P) or Person-to-Person (P2P) traffic. Number eligibility is programatically determined by Telnyx based on the observed messaging use case over a specified period of time. All new numbers will initially be designated as A2P traffic until Telnyx has had sufficient time to monitor the traffic profile. If a number is deemed to be eligible for P2P traffic, users will have the option to update their number accordingly.
Selecting a traffic type that aligns with the number's messaging use case will improve message deliverability. The P2P traffic type will also allow customers to send messages internationally — and at a different price than the A2P traffic type. Currently, MMS is only available with the the A2P Traffic Type.
Checking a TN's Current Traffic Type
To see what messaging product a number is currently designated as in your Portal:
- 1Click on "Numbers" in the navigation menu on the left-hand side of the Telnyx Mission Control Portal.
- 2Find the number you want to check, and click on the Messaging Icon (SMS/Messaging).
- 3Depending on the current state of the number, there are a few things that you can see:
- If the number is not currently messaging enabled (i.e., attached to a Messaging Profile), you'll see what the messaging product will be if the number were to be activated next to 'Traffic Type'.
- If the number is currently messaging enabled, you will see the current messaging product next to 'Traffic Type'.
Requesting a Traffic Type Change
If you would like to request a messaging product change via your Portal: 1. Click on "Numbers" in the navigation menu on the left-hand side of the Telnyx Mission Control Portal. 2. Find the number you want to request the change on, and click on the Messaging Icon (SMS/Messaging). 3. If the radio buttons next 'Traffic Type' are grayed out, your TN is not currently eligible to change messaging products. If the buttons are not grayed out, simply check the other radio button and hit save and your number will be changed to the new messaging product type.